USB 3 External Drive as Capture Destination
  • I imagine this has already been discussed here but a search didn't immediately find an answer. What has been your experience using a USB 3 external hard drive as a capture destination for a handful of cameras in SS?

I have a 1TB Seagate USB 3 drive connected to a recent iMac. I have six cameras and SS is using that drive as a capture destination. In my testing it seemed to work fine for motion event recording and now I've been testing it with continuous recording and it seems to be working OK.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

• USB 3.0 is very fast so I would say that this is a good setup and I would expect you to have any problems. I've previously used USB 2.0 drives for up to 10 cameras with success (mixture of motion and continuous recording). If you are using MPEG-4 or H.264 compression, then the actual data rates being written to the disk should be well within the capabilities of the bus and the drive itself.
  • Thanks, Ben. For my test environment, I've had all six cameras on continuous recording to the USB 3.0 external drive. I did change two of the cameras to stream H.264. For the last twenty four hours I have seen SS crash and restart a dozen times or so.. this morning a window popped up saying "there was an error while running the camera pedestrian entrance in active mode. It has been set to passive mode. Error code: 22160, -108 out of memory, please use MPEG-4 compression instead of H.264.

This issue is not about capturing to the USB 3.0 external drive is it?
  • This issue is not due to the drive, it's due to SecuritySpy being set to perform software H.264 compression, which uses a lot of memory (and CPU) and is exceeding the amount of available memory. I recommend that you change the compression setting to MPEG-4 in the Compression Settings window in SecuritySpy.

For any camera that is sending H.264 video to SecuritySpy, you can tell SecuritySpy to capture this video directly to disk by checking the "No recompression of video data" option in the Video Device Settings window. Then it bypasses software compression entirely and uses the camera's compression, which will give you the best quality and performance. There is more information on this in this section of the user manual.
  • Ben, I've tried this suggestion, checking the box to NOT compress streaming H.264 files and my file size raises to 22.5mb per minute from 1mb per minute. It's as if the cameras is sending JPEG files instead of compressed H.264 files. Camera=QCN7001b

• Hi Juan, if you view these captured files in the Browser in SecuritySpy it will tell you in the info text at the bottom what compression format is used - what does it say there? If it says JPEG then you must be correct. Make sure that the camera is actually set to send H.264 video on it's primary stream rather than JPEG.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!