Network Bandwidth
  • Using SecuritySpy and loving its versatility and configurability. What an amazing piece of software.
    I often wonder if I'm shooting myself in the foot by allowing SecuritySpy to run at a high frame rate in monitoring 3 network cameras on a small hardwired LAN. I note in the device settings that I can select a slower frame rate which I have done. I changed the setting from 30fps to 3fps, but the monitor window is still reporting a 14-15 fps rate. Using "unapproved Swann" (not on the approved cam list) cameras. Can you explain the apparent discrepancy between the setup fps of 3, and the reported fps of 14-15?
    Also, having set the fps to 3, will an unintended consequence of this be to likewise reduce the fps rate of any "motion captures" from 30 down to 3?
    TIA for your kind assistance.
    Keep up the great work!
    John
    Ocean City, NJ
  • Hi John, glad you like the software!

For some cameras you can indeed request a frame rate from SecuritySpy, but cameras can ignore this request and will send video at different rate. What you can do is log on to the camera directly with a web browser and you should see there a setting to choose the frame rate that you want.

It's generally best to set the frame rate at the camera to the rate at which you want to capture video and no higher. So if you want to capture video at 5fps, then set the camera to 5fps (5-10fps is a generally good range for video surveillance). If you are on a wired ethernet network then 5-10fps should not noticeably affect the network's performance. But if you are receiving 30fps from the camera and only capturing at 5fps then you are wasting network bandwidth and computer CPU time processing the frames that will just be disposed.

Hope this helps!
  • Is there a way to limit the bandwidth that is used? I have 40 cameras going into security spy, and then over satellite connection. I want to have the cameras send the best quality and then have security spy knock it down for the web.

I too am big fan of the software. I have installed it for a few clients now and I use it at home.
  • Yes this is possible - have the streams from the cameras come into SecuritySpy at the full quality that you want; the streams that SecuritySpy produces via the web server are separately encoded and can be at a lower quality/frame rate/resolution. If using a web browser, use the "QuicktTime MPEG-4" viewing method (which you select via the front page of the web interface) for the lowest bandwidth available via a web browser.

Or, for even lower bandwidth usage, use another copy of SecuritySpy as the client viewing software (you can use an unlicensed copy of SecuritySpy free for this purpose). In the Video Device Settings window on this client SecuritySpy, where you configure the inputs from the server, select MPEG-4 encoding, and in addition you can select a lower resolution, frame rate, and/or encoding quality to get precise control over the bandwidth. Our user manual has information on how to set up this SecuritySpy-to-SecuritySpy connection.
  • Ben, does this mean that the client Security Spy is receiving MPEG-4 from the server instance?

You may of seen my earlier post from today, sorry if this is threadjacking but it seems like a good spot to keep a discussion.
  • Hi caseyd - yes that is correct, in the setup I described above the client SecuritySpy will be receiving MPEG-4 video from the Server SecuritySpy, independent of the format that the server SecuritySpy is receiving from the cameras themselves.
  • Thanks for the clarification.

if the client is requesting a composite camera view does the server build a composite stream, or does the client just request multiple streams? ( I am pretty sure the latter )
  • By "composite camera view" do you mean that the camera is sending multiple different views in a single stream to SecuritySpy, like a "quad view" for example? SecuritySpy will simply treat this as one camera input; it has no facility to split this into multiple separate entities.

Or if you have set up multiple devices in SecuritySpy, each pointed to the same physical camera, these will be treated as entirely separate cameras in SecuritySpy.

Or did you mean something else?
  • oh I was just musing. If I requested, say 4 views from the server I was wondering if the server renders them locally and simply sends a composite image/framebuffer to the client. like a VNC client.
  • I see what you mean now. Each stream set up in SecuritySpy is separate and sent on its own connection. This is the best way to do it for a variety of reasons.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!