Skip to content

Can't manage to autostart SecuritySpy at login

lixlix
edited May 2021 in SecuritySpy
Hello,

This one is in the class: on a Mac it always works, but if it doesn't, then you're really stuck.

I moved to SecuritySpy 5.3.3 and at the same time on another computer (the old one is not supported by SS 5.x). Everything is well after some fiddling, but I can't manage to automatically start SecurtySpy up when I log into the respective user. SecuritySpy is obviously entered in System Preferences->Users & Groups->Login Items, but when I log in, the SS Icon bounces only once and then nothing happens.

Searching the system.log for references to SecuritySpy I've found these entries:

May 17 19:15:42 Lixs-iMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.user.domain.502.100038.Aqua): Caller not allowed to perform action: seedusaged.801, action = service removal, code = 150: Operation not permitted while System Integrity Protection is engaged, uid = 502, euid = 502, gid = 20, egid = 20, asid = 100038

May 17 19:15:42 Lixs-iMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.oneshot.0x1000000a.SecuritySpy[809]): Service exited due to SIGKILL | sent by loginwindow[649]

I don't know if the two entries above are related. I tested both with admin and standard accounts, same result.

I'm on an late 2012 iMac with an 3,1 GHz Quad-Core i7, 16 GB RAM running macOS Catalina.

Does anyone had this one, and eventually found a solution?

Best regards,

Lix

Comments

• Hi Lix, this is one we haven't seen before! Are you saying that if you open SecuritySpy normally (e.g. click the SecuritySpy icon in the Dock), it opens just fine, but the problem is specific to the automatic opening SecuritySpy after a reboot?

It sounds like some permissions related to System Integrity Protection may have become corrupt. Try this:

- Download a fresh copy of SecuritySpy from here: https://www.bensoftware.com/securityspy/download.html

- Drag this new version to your Applications folder, replacing your current version.

- Right-click (ctrl-click) on SecuritySpy and select the "Open" option.

- Make sure SecuritySpy is still in the list of startup items, then reboot your Mac.

Does this fix the problem?
  • Hi Ben,

Thank you for the hint.

"Are you saying that if you open SecuritySpy normally (e.g. click the SecuritySpy icon in the Dock), it opens just fine, but the problem is specific to the automatic opening SecuritySpy after a reboot?" -- Yes, exactly so.

Meanwhile I have moved the application to another account, and there it works as expected. I am not sure if adding the application in the startup items is in fact necessary, as the newer macOS versions have a general option to start up all programs that were open at logout. That is, even without adding the application to the startup items it automatically starts up at login. The sole condition is that the application must be running when logging-out.

This has obvioulsy nothing to do with application itself, rather with some macOS peculiarity.

Regards,

Lix