Skip to content

Economy dome PTZ with patrol ?

jayjay
edited December 2020 in SecuritySpy
Greetings!

I'm looking for recommendations for a dome camera, with PTZ and patrol.

I like this camera a lot, Anpviz Security 4.0MP POE IP PTZ Dome Camera, Hikvision Compatible 4X Optical, 16X Digital Zoom (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07T62VCY3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

But for some reason, it's firmware doesn't support PTZ patrol. Other than that, it's a good camera, at a good price point, the live view shows up in Safari and all the functionality passes through to Securityspy.

The features I like in the above camera, are the dome is tinted, so you really can't see the lens moving. It's 4MP. It's a very easy mount on the underside of an eave, which is where I'm going to use it.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Be well everybody!

Jay.

Comments

• Hi Jay, I haven't heard of Anpviz but this camera has good specs at a good price point, and it claims to support ONVIF and should therefore work well with SecuritySpy.

Do you mean PTZ "auto-patrol", where the camera will automatically move between some of its preset positions every few seconds? This can be achieved by SecuritySpy with any PTZ camera, using the "Pan/Tilt/Zoom Auto-Patrol" script on the SecuritySpy AppleScript Examples page. Do you think this will do what you want?
  • Hi Ben-that's an interesting workaround. I never really got into apple script, but way, way back I was a Quickkeys power user. I've played with a little bit, and it could probably work.

Unfortunately, with a script… It may override the cameras position when I'm looking at it manually. Where-as with the built-in firmware, It has the "park" command... Which will keep the camera in position, until a set amount of time has passed. Then it will revert back to auto patrol.

I want to cover a back alley, and I just want it to patrol, about every 10 minutes… Just to look down the far side of the alley to see if anyone's parked there and doing something. So the script overriding the position, wouldn't be a constant problem in this application.

When I saved the script, as a standalone app, I was unable to quit it… No Command Q, no Command "." … I had to force quit. It wasn't saved as a start up.

How would I set the script to restart on a unforced PC shut down… do I have to save it as a login item?

The Anpviz is an excellent camera for the price point, it works seamlessly with SS. They also have some dome cameras, 2.8 mm… Under US$50.

For "override"… 20 minutes would be a nice addition... OS Notifications. Looking forward to an iOS update.

I really appreciate all your efforts for SecuritySpy… Very important to us.

Be well Ben!

Jay.
  • Thanks for the feedback, I certainly see the limitations of the script. We'll take a look at implementing some kind of auto-patrol feature in SecuritySpy itself. It could then be more sophisticated, including some kind of override delay feature as you describe, as that sounds useful.

As for the AppleScript requiring a force quit - I agree this isn't ideal. We'll see if we can come up with a solution for this and will post a modified script that allows for a normal quit.