Figured out why I was getting no audio in the Security Spy iOS app
  • SecuritySpy 5.2.6
    SecuritySpy iOS App v 1.3.0
    iOS 14.0.1 (on both iPad and iPhone)

Recently I noticed I was not getting audio through the speakers of my iPhone or iPad when using the SecuritySpy App. I checked the recordings and found that audio is definitely being captured.

I do get sound through the app if I'm using either AirPods or any other bluetooth speaker, but neither my iPad nor my iPhone would play sound through the speakers.

I figured out why, though I'm not sure if it is a bug, an iOS change, or if it's supposed to be this way and I've just never noticed. I usually keep my phones on Silent via the switch on the side. If I turn Silent Mode on, no sound through the speakers, if I turn it off, sound immediately plays. With my iPad there's no switch so I use the Do Not Disturb functionality, and it has the same effect.

I don't see anything in the manual about this, so I figured I'd report it if for no other reason it explains the behavior to somebody else wondering what's going on.
  • This behaviour has changed in SecuritySpy, hence your surprise. Previously, SecuritySpy would play the audio whether the phone was on silent or not, which we (and many users) judged to be a Bad Thing. So this was changed in the latest update so that the audio will only play when the phone is not on silent. I hope this isn't too much of an issue for you.
  • Not an issue at all - just couldn't figure out why I couldn't hear sound. Now that I know it's easy enough to turn off Silent mode on the rare occasions when I am not using my AirPods.

Thanks!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!