Skip to content

SecuritySpy app on iOS13.7 : no livestream anymore in large camera view

edited October 2020 in SecuritySpy
iPhone 7Plus, iOS13.7 : I can see livestreaming when I'm on the multiple camera view. However, when I double-click on whatever camera, then it switches to the large view, but livestream stops and the "grey camera with red cross"-icon pops up on the picture.

Comments

• edited October 2020
    Update :
    I just checked the app on my iPadPro (iOS13.7), everything fine, there is livestream in large camera-view. But when I do the update with the timestamp on 28th september, then this new version also shows the same problem as on my iPhone, no livestream anymore in the large camera-view.
  • Are you running SecuritySpy v4 on your server? If so, please download and install the latest 4.2.14 update from the SecuritySpy previous versions download page (even if you already have 4.2.14 installed, try downloading and installing it again). If this doesn't fix the problem, or if you are actually running SecuritySpy v5 on your server, please let me know.
  • Hi Ben,
    Sorry for not mentioning what version is on the server. Version installed is 4.2.14. I'll do a re-install now.
  • edited October 2020
    Hi Ben,
    Problem solved ! Re-installed 4.2.14 (without uninstall first) and now livestreaming in large views is back again. Thank you !
  • Can confirm the "Reinstall" (just copy the program over) works. (iOS 14.0.1 App 1.3.0)
  • Great to hear that this problem is now solved.
  • Hi Ben,

We've also been having this issue, seemed to start after updating the iOS app to v1.3.0. I've tried updating Security Spy to v4.2.14 (using both the built in updater and by downloading the app from the website) however the issues has persisted. Have you got any other suggestions on things to try?

Cheers, Owen
  • Hi @derwentvalleyrailway is your problem exactly the same as described above? i.e. you see all cameras updating correctly under the Cameras tab, but as soon as you tap on one to view individually, you get a broken connection icon?
  • Yep that's correct. Under the cameras tab I can see the timecode on the cameras ticking over so I know they're working correctly. As soon as I tap one to to view it individually the image hangs and then shows the broken connection icon after about 3 seconds. Go back to the cameras tab and it's ok again. Have tested on multiple devices from multiple networks/locations and get the same behaviour. The only custom thing we have setup is a reverse proxy in front of SecuritySpy to enable external access, this setup has been working ok for a number of years until now. Thanks!
  • Actually I just noticed that the cameras don't start working again when going back to the cameras tab, they're all frozen. Reconnecting to the server also doesn't seem solve the issue. I've uploaded a screen recording here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/eq24hkmee5d4au0/RPReplay_Final1603324512.MP4?dl=0

Thanks for your help!
  • I have the same issue with iOS 14.0.1 and app version 1.3.0. The macOS app 5.2.6 is running on Catalina 10.15.7. When I switch to the camera's detail screen, the video freezes, and the "connection lost" icon appears. When I rotate the phone, the camera image is even misaligned (it's moved slightly outside on the top).

What I already did is reinstalling the iOS app and reinstalling the macOS app. But this didn't help...

Some words about my network setup (which worked without any problems in the version before):

- I am using native IPv6 where the macOS app is running
    - I have a proxy running (nginx) on a server on the internet to provide additional IPv4 access
    - The proxy writes your Server HTTP header with the value "Server: BBVS/5.0" (I verified that this is still the same), as this is a mandatory feature detection of your iOS app

As far as I see, you are doing a HTTP request with the method "DESCRIBE" (maybe starting with 1.3.0, but I cannot verify this). This is non-standard, and nginx responds literally with "400 Bad Request". I will recompile nginx with an additional module to allow this method to see if this fixes my issue.

Cheers,
    Thomas
  • Hi Thomas,

I think this problem is due to your proxy. DESCRIBE is a valid RTSP request. SecuritySpy runs both HTTP and RTSP over the same port, and our iOS app uses HTTP for the initial thumbnails, and then RTSP for the individual camera stream. Can you set nginx to allow RTSP?
  • edited October 2020
    Hi Ben,

thanks for your response. I will try to make this possible in nginx. I verified, that when I set up the app in my local network to communicate with the macOS app directly, the streaming works. But the alignment is still wrong.

I see, that there is a "Format" field in the device setup where I have RTSP selected. Would it help to switch to RTSP-over-HTTP? I will give a try...

EDIT: Unfortunately, no. Still issuing "DESCRIBE"...
  • edited October 2020
    Ok, the header is now allowed. But it seems that nginx has a problem, that the request is issued like this:

DESCRIBE rtsp://***:443/++stream?cameraNum=0&width=1920&codec=h264

Is it correct to have "rtsp" in front? Without it (e.g. using "https") the request would be proxied without problems, but SecuritySpy is denying it with "Bad Request".

EDIT: It seems that this is the standard. Unfortunately, I cannot proxy this with nginx. Would it be possible to allow to switch back to the pre-1.3.0 behavior? That worked like a charm.
  • Yes, that request is correct.

One thing you could do is go to the SecuritySpy settings on your iOS device, and set the "Live H.264 Video" option to "Off". The app will then stream via HTTP JPEG instead. This should work just fine over fast network connections, but no so well over slow ones (RTSP H.264 is much more bandwidth-efficient).
  • Thanks, Ben. Switching to Off works. I need to stick with that, as my setup cannot be changed.

@derwentvalleyrailway: I think you have the same issue. Maybe the switch will help, too.