How to send an image via email every x minutes/hours?
  • Is there something in the settings that would allow me to send an image from a camera every x minutes or hours? I can't seem to find a way to set that up. Am I missing something? I see a means in the Continuous Capture tab of setting an image capture frequency every x seconds and uploading it to a server, but is there a way to have it sent via email instead of uploading it? Thanks in advance for any help!
  • There is no built-in feature in SecuritySpy to do this (such a feature has never been requested!) but you could use AppleScript to achieve what you want. You can write AppleScripts using the Script Editor software that comes with every Mac.

Firstly, make sure that Mail is set up on this Mac with the ability to send emails.

Here's a script that will grab an image from SecuritySpy and send it to an email address:

tell application "SecuritySpy"
            capture image camera number 0 as "/tmp/ss-temp-image.jpg" with overwrite
        end tell

delay 2

tell application "Mail"
            set theSubject to "Image From SecuritySpy"
            set theAddress to "me@example.com"
            set theAttachmentFile to ":tmp:ss-temp-image.jpg"

set msg to make new outgoing message with properties {subject:theSubject, visible:true}
            tell msg to make new to recipient at end of every to recipient with properties {address:theAddress}
            tell msg to make new attachment with properties {file name:theAttachmentFile as alias}

send msg
        end tell

Make sure to specify the correct camera number in the script (you can see this in the Camera Info window when you have enabled the appropriate column).

You can use Automator to run this script at regular emails.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!