Skip to content

Static IP caused camera to drop connection

edited October 2019 in SecuritySpy
I'd been running a new camera with an assigned static IP address for about 1 week. All of a sudden I started having connection issues so I used Bonjour to discover the camera. The camera then connected. When I do a LAN scan I see the static IP address. Any idea what is going on?

Comments

• It's unlikely that this is related to the camera having a static IP address, as this is the most reliable IP setup. The camera must have an IP address in all circumstances: either this is obtained automatically from the router, or this is manually assigned, and there is less to go wrong when it is manually assigned. What is the make/model of this camera? I would suggest that you check for updated firmware from the manufacturer, as this often fixes bugs like this.
  • edited October 2019
    Hikvision DS-2CD2043G0-1 mini bullet. I checked on firmware update, but none available for it. After Bonjour did its thing I changed it back to a static address and its been running ok for the last 12 hours or so.
  • By "changed it back", are you saying that the camera forgot its initial fixed IP settings? This would indeed make it stop working. If you want us to check the camera's IP settings, please send a screenshot of these to support@bensoftware.com and we'll check them over to make sure they look OK.
  • Yes the camera seems to have forgotten its IP settings. Will send settings to support.