SecuritySpy and Catalina
  • Since upgrading my late 2012 Macmini to Catalina, my cameras not connecting in security spy v.5.0.1
    Are my Mac/Catalina/Securitypy/Cameras no longer compatible?
  • SecuritySpy 5.0.1 is compatible with Catalina, so this must be some other problem. It's impossible to diagnose without further information, so please email us and include screenshots of all relevant settings (e.g. device settings for your camera in SecuritySpy) as well as the log file (File menu -> Open Log) and we will help you directly with this.
  • Similar issues. Same set up. Things running really slow. Cameras disconnect. Will send log file.
  • Feels like a memory leak or something. Reboot. Cameras work find. 5 hours later things are dragging.
  • Yes, please send us an email with your log file and we will take it from there.
  • I am running v5.0.2b11 without any noticeable difference on Catalina (Mac Mini 2018). There are a lot more permissions checks in Catalina. Are they enabled for SecuritySpy? Under Security&Privacy (Privacy tab), I can see see an entry for SecuritySpy under Files & Folders. Not sure if that might be affecting you.
  • Log says my server is overloaded.

"2019/10/13 21:32:29: Error communicating with the network device "Outside_Driveway". 5.0.1,10,835 Excessive packet loss from network device, the network may be too slow or defective, or this computer may be overloaded. Check the network and/or reduce this camera's frame rate."

My Mac mini only runs SS. So I disabled iCloud and stopped the photo sync. That seemed to get the CPU usage under 10%. That stopped the log errors, but the the iOS app is still really slow to connect.

Will continue to trouble shoot my network. The server has a gigabyte fiber connection to the Internet.
  • I have seen more of those than usual, however I chalked it up to additional network bandwidth taken by BackBlaze after the update, as well as downloads by the new music and movies apps. I unfortunately do not have anywhere close to a gigabyte fiber connection. The Catalina upgrade seemed to ignore my existing music and movies on disk, requiring them to be redownloaded if I wanted a local copy managed by the new apps. So basically I had several days of known load on the network and didn't think twice about the extra packet loss messages. I will have to monitor it more closely now that things have caught up.
  • The iOS Security Spy App was running really slow. Upon opening, it would display stills of cams from well before I opened the app.

I uninstalled the app and reinstalled. That corrected the problem. Working much better now.
  • upgraded 2012 macmini to Catalina and no issues. The cpu is actually running a couple degrees cooler.
  • It’s all suddenly started working! Therefore no further issues to report. Thanks anyway
  • Hmm, I wish I could say the same. I am indeed seeing a much higher frequency of SecuritySpy errors with Catalina, all regarding the key frame interval being too high. I don't recall seeing these (or perhaps seeing them so often) previously.

Failed to record video frame 5575,818 The key frame interval from the network device is too high, locate and change this setting in the device (may be called I-frame interval / I-frame rate / GOV length / Intra frame period))

I have been attempting to reconfigure the network, so far unsuccessfully, but I don't think I have done anything that should affect this issue. For the record, I upgraded the main backbone to 10G (which can go directly into the Mac mini at 10G), and other switches aggregate traffic into the 10G switches. It was all 1G before.

I have also attempted (and failed) to isolate the video traffic to a subnet, so that my own intranet would not see the video traffic at all. But I haven't quite figured out out to program my NetGear switches to avoid broadcast traffic leaking from the vlan to the untagged network. The problem is the cameras' DHCP requests still get seen by my broadband router, and the cameras end up with the wrong address. My Mac is setup to give a different set of addresses on the vlan, and it also sees the request and makes an offer, but apparently too late, as the camera has accepted the one offered by the router.
  • The "key frame interval too high" problem is not related to the macOS version or SecuritySpy version: they key frame interval is decided purely by the camera itself based on its settings, and SecuritySpy has had the same tolerance for this for many years.

I suppose the network speed could have an impact on this - perhaps your upgraded network allows the camera to stream at a higher frame rate? I suppose this is possible, but the previous network would have to have been quite slow in order to restrict the camera's streaming rate.

The solution is to check the camera's encoding settings - normally you will see a setting called "key frame interval", "I-frame rate", "GOV length" etc. that you will be able to set; if so, set this to twice the camera's frame rate.

One possibility is that the camera has some kind of "smart codec" option, which may have an impact on this. If so, turn this off.

As for your DHCP issues, it seems to me that giving the cameras manually-assigned IP addresses on your subnet would be the easiest solution, have you considered this? This would also be the most reliable solution, as there is less to go wrong.
  • I finally was able to configure the NetGear switches to isolate camera traffic. the trick, apparently, is to move intranet traffic off the management vlan (1) and onto its own vlan. this did provide broadcast domain separation between the new intranet vlan and the new camera vlan. But the SS errors regarding the I-frame interval only started after upgrading to Catalina. They occurred before any network reconfiguration for example. My network reconfiguration was an attempt to isolate the intranet traffic completely from the camera traffic, and this is now done, along with an upgrade of the backbone to 10Gb all the way to my Mac mini (all was 1Gb before, although cameras only connect at 100Mbps, and send even less). I have also apparently lost ONVIF support at SS due to the new vlan. The cameras are in general setup with these parameters:

Encoding: H.264H
    Super H.265H/H.264: Off
    Resolution: (4K) 3840x2160
    Frame Rate: 30
    Bit rate type: CBR
    Bit rate: 8192 Kb/S

Sub Stream disabled

Audo Encoding: AAC
    Sampling Freq: 16000

Again, I was pretty much fine before upgrading to Catalina, although come to think of it, I did switch from a a beta version of SS to the release version (5.1.0) somewhere in there as well.

The beta versions were to aid in troubleshooting the 'disk too slow' issues I was having, which ultimately were caused by too many errors on the disk causing my Drobo 8D to periodically slow way down. That has been addressed by capturing to 16 TB SSD instead, and only using the Drobo 8D for the Time Machine volume.
  • After reconfiguring the network, I have only been getting an error from the one camera remaining on the intranet vlan. So I think there is simply something going on there that I need to figure out. It is perhaps only coincidental with the Catalina and SS upgrade.
  • Hi @billie what camera make(s)/model(s) are these?

Do you not see any setting in the camera for I-frame interval / GOV Length / Key frame rate / smart codec?

One thing you could try is to switch the camera to VBR instead of CBR. VBR is almost always going to be the better option (as it allows the camera to adjust its data rate depending on current conditions).
  • These are all Lorex 4K IP cameras, 3 different models I believe. The configuration options are as previously provided. I was under the impression that VBR might cause some fuzziness when transitioning from no-motion to motion, thus was just keeping CBR on always. My Mac, network, and storage devices can handle it. I think the issue is simply on my intranet. 1Gbps for that should be plenty (with no cameras on it now), so perhaps there is a packet loop somewhere (possibly between wi-fi and wired connections). I have a wi-fi mesh system (EERO) with 5 EEROs wired to each other (via multiple switches). The EEROs tend to get updated behind my back, so it is possible that an EERO s/w update caused the problem.

Lorex models: LNB9272S, LNB8105X, LNB9232S

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!