Any using Homebridge to view their SecuritySpy cameras in HomeKit... how's the experience?
  • Curious if anyone here is using the Homebridge plugin "homebridge-camera-ffmpeg" to view their SecuritySpy cameras in HomeKit? I am considering this set up and would love to hear if anyone has any experience with it and what it's like day-to-day.

According to the Tested Configurations page it looks like it's a pretty simple process to connect SecuritySpy -> HomeKit through Homebridge:

https://github.com/KhaosT/homebridge-camera-ffmpeg/wiki/Tested-Configurations#securityspy-for-macos

If anyone is currently running this, mind weighing in on the following?

•How reliable is the configuration?
    •Approx how long does it take in HomeKit for a live stream of one of your SecuritySpy cameras to start playing back?
    •Are you able to get audio (in addition to video) from your SecuritySpy cameras when viewing them in HomeKit?
    •What about two-way audio? Like sending audio back from HomeKit to your camera's speaker (if your camera has a hardware speaker of course)
    •Does the homebridge-camera-ffmpeg plugin create a "motion sensor" accessory in HomeKit from your SecuritySpy's camera motion detector? (I don't think so but would like to confirm.)
    •Any other general thoughts on the setup?

Thanks in advance!
  • Reliable - yes, for snapshots every 10 seconds, more so than video.
    It takes around 10 seconds to start a live stream after selecting a snapshot in the home app. I'm running homebridge on a 2019 Mac Mini.
    No two way audio (that I'm aware of)

General thoughts - I did this just to have a snapshot view in the home app, via homekit. It doesn't work great for live viewing, and I would not suggest it as a replacement, it is not even close to the functionality of the SS app. It is nice to have a single spot to view all smart home devices quickly, which is what I use it for.
  • Awesome, thanks for the feedback @startak11 Good to know ahead of time that it's good for quick reference of snapshots but not great for live viewing. Appreciate your post!
  • @startak11, are you using "one-way" audio? For hearing the audio coming from your cameras? (understood that two-audio isn't possible)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!