Unknown IP Address requests
  • Hi there,

I’m an amateur when it comes to setting up a camera system, so forgive my ignorance, but I’ve noticed in the last couple of days, after I updated SecuritySpy from 3.4.8 to 4.2.1, that I’m getting requests from unknown IP addresses for access to port 8000 on my computer (I’ve previously setup web access so that I can have the app on my iPhone to check my cameras when I’m away from home). Luckily I have Little Snitch installed and I was able to deny these requests. I looked up each IP address on Google and each one seems to be originating from either Romania or China. One of them even specifically mentioned something about being linked to hacking.

So my question (sorry for the rambling lead-up)…Is there any reason why this would be happening now, right after installing the new version? And should I be worried that my IP address is somehow now attracting these requests for access? It seems like more than a coincidence since this wasn’t happening before. And as long as the connection is denied, there shouldn’t be any chance of them hacking into my system, is that right? Again, forgive my ignorance, but I’m just not sure how this works and I’m a bit worried about getting hacked.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
  • This will be a coincidence - there is no reason I can think of that this would be due to upgrading your SecuritySpy version. Hackers run networks of bots that scan the Internet trying to connect to common ports on random IP addresses. Once they discover an open port they may try repeatedly to gain access via this port, so this is probably what you are seeing.

Making sure you have a strong password for web access in SecuritySpy itself is the best way to prevent unauthorised access. I would also recommend using SecuritySpy's secure HTTPS interface rather than its standard HTTP interface.

Adding Little Snitch to block particular IP addresses may help if the connections are coming from a small pool of specific IP addresses, but my guess is that these will change over time, so this approach may be of limited use.
  • Hi Ben,

Thanks very much for your reply. I'm done a bit of reading up on port scanning in the meantime and I think my concerns have been somewhat eased. I've tried setting up the HTTPS connection, but I haven't had luck so far getting that to work, but I will keep trying. Anyhow, thanks again for the explanation and advice. Take care.
  • Let me know if you need any help setting up HTTPS. The setup should be the same as for HTTP (normally all that is required is that you enable the HTTPS options in SecuritySpy under Preferences -> Web). Note that SecuritySpy’s HTTPS web server runs over port 8001 by default, so the address that you use to connect (via a web browser) will be slightly different - it will be in this form:

https://address:8001

Hope this helps.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!