External motion sensors to trigger camera recording?
  • Hi, today I use the motion detection functionality inside SS and I'm happy with the way it works. However in preparation for a time when I want to purchase a replacement camera, there is one thing that is a bit frustrating. My camera points from the inside, to the entrance of an appartment building. And while it doesn't see any sky, the outside light that shines inside, onto the carpet, does trigger a motion. A cloud in front of the sun... This isn't a SS issue, but to me it's an issue that is caused by looking at pixels to decide of a motion has taken place.

I'm hoping someone has experience with attaching an external "trigger" to an IP camera that moves the motion detection away from SS (would also reduce the CPU load on my MacMini of it only has to deal with streams that are sent when it matters). I would like to use a motion detection device that basically detects humans (instead of light) and then sends a trigger to a camera to start sending the stream to SS.

I haven't found a good solution yet. Hoping someone has experience with this or can point me in the right direction (or tell me I'm crazy as this doesn't work).

Thanks
    TJ
  • Hi TJ,

You could try increasing the "trigger time" setting in SecuritySpy under Preferences -> Cameras -> Setup (e.g. try 2s). This should cut out most false-positive triggers, while still capturing all real motion.

A PIR (Passive Infra Red) sensor will perform better, and many cameras have input ports that you can connect external PIR sensors to (the sensor simply acts as an on/off switch, and when triggered this event is sent to SecuritySpy). SecuritySpy currently supports the input ports of Axis, D-Link, Hikvision, Dahua and Amcrest cameras.

Additionally, SecuritySpy supports the built-in PIR sensor in the Hikvision DS-2CD2432F-IW camera, so you may like to consider this as an easier solution.
  • If you are on a Mac and have interest in control and automation in addition to cameras, Indigo is great software and has a plug-in that seems to work well with Security Spy. I use a combination of PIR sensors and SS camera motion to check doors and driveways.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!