Feature request - timelapse from captured .jpg files
  • I'm trialing SS with a view to replace some existing camera capture programs I'm running on my weather site. Basically I have a webcam that I use to capture .jpg images every 30 seconds and then create timelapse movies every hour to show the build-up of clouds and rain etc.

SS seems to have everything I need including capturing frequent jpg files hwowever the timelapse movies it creates are from the video files and are not quite what I need.

Is it possible to add the option to create a timelapse .mp4 from all .jpg files in the directory that SS uses to capture the .jpg files? The program I currently use (that is windows based and I want to cease using) creates 2 x .mp4 movies each hour, one with the last hour's files and the other using all files from that day.

This is an example of what I want to do with the timelapse

http://wx.theshackbythebeach.com/wx/webcam_loop.php

Thanks
    Ian
  • Hi Ian,

I think what you describe is a bit beyond the scope of SecuritySpy (which is a CCTV application after all). However, the latest beta version of SecuritySpy (currently 4.1.5b13) allows you to specify an artificial playback rate for continuous-capture movie files, so you can create proper timelapse recordings with faster-than-real-time playback.

Use the "Hourly on the hour" option for the continuous-capture movies to have one timelapse recording per hour.

Hope this helps!
  • Thanks Ben - I'll give that a try - much appreciated!
  • I am a long-time EvoCam user and timelapse is super important to my projects. I am new to SS, and am curious what artificial playback rate one uses for timelapse? How does one calculate that? Thanks.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!