Tip: text message on motion detection
  • I just wanted to pass on a tip to anyone else who might be interested...

Most cell phone providers have a "gateway" that converts emails into text messages.

My SecuritySpy trigger action uses this to send me a text (with pictures) when one of my cameras triggers. Unlike a regular email, this is much easier to notice on my phone.

I use AT&T, the gateway email there is xxxyyyzzzz@MMS.att.net, where xxxyyyzzzz is the phone number with area code. There are various web sites listing these gateway addresses, here's one of them:

http://martinfitzpatrick.name/list-of-email-to-sms-gateways/

I originally tried to script iMessage, but since I'm logged into the same iCloud account on all devices, sending yourself a message doesn't result in an iPhone notification.

You should be able to use SecuritySpy's native email feature to do this. I used an AppleScript script talking to the Mail app instead so I could limit the alerts to certain times of the day. Here's a pared-down version of my script:

set startTime to "01:00:00 PM"
    set endTime to "02:00:00 PM"

if (current date) is greater than date startTime and (current date) is less than date endTime then

set {year:y, month:mo, day:d, hours:h, minutes:mi, seconds:s} to (current date)
    set theFile to "/Volumes/blah/" & y & "-" & mo & "-" & d & "-" & h & "-" & mi & "-" & s & ".jpg"

-- If already running, don't send more photos
    set myName to "OnBackyard"
    set procCount to do shell script "ps axww|grep -e \"osascript.*" & myName & "\"|grep -v grep|wc -l"
    if procCount as integer is greater than 1 then
    return false
    end if

tell application "SecuritySpy" to capture image as theFile camera name "Backyard"
    set theContent to "Backyard motion detected"
    set recipientName to "Me"
    set recipientAddress to "xxxxxxxxxxx@MMS.att.net"
    set theSubject to "Camera Alert"
    set theAttachment to POSIX file theFile
    delay 3
    tell application "Mail"
    set theMessage to make new outgoing message with properties {subject:theSubject, content:theContent, visible:true}
    tell theMessage
    make new to recipient with properties {name:recipientName, address:recipientAddress}
    make new attachment with properties {file name:theAttachment} at after the last word of the last paragraph
    set message_attachment to 0
    send
    end tell
    end tell

end if

Hope this helps!
  • This is great - thanks for posting!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!